Monday, November 3, 2014

La Bella Sicilia

Buongiorno Tutti!
Well, after a ton of traveling I have arrived in Sicily to the city of Gela. Well, it is quite a bit different here compared to Sardegna haha. It feels way more wild as a place and the people are not nearly as polite haha. It is fun though, there are a lot more strange smells while walking down the street, but it is sweet! I only get 3 more months of these funky smells, I've gotta make the most out of it. Right now I am doing my emailing in a betting place haha. It is crazy loud and people are playing a really violent game of fus
​e​
ball. Everybody yells and swears when they lose on their bets haha. It is kind of a strange place, but we know the guy who owns it, so it is free for us to use the computers. So, that is cool.
Well, it was super sad saying goodbye to Anziano Flynn, he is such a good guy. Anziano Lazarte is cool to and we are getting along well! It is sweet! He originally comes from Argentina but moved to Italy a long time ago, so he speaks perfect Italian, just like Anziano Garcia haha. Pretty funny. Anyway, on Wednesday I shipped out to Rome on a plane. It was fun to fly, I always like the feeling of it. It is just relaxing. We arrived in Rome at like 9:30 in the evening... The assist
​a​
nts couldn't come pick us up, so we were on our own to get to one of the Rome Anziani houses. Well, we hopped on a shuttle going to Rome and we rode on that for a while. It was strange, at like 10:00 at night as a missionary being outside on a bus... Not my usual schedule. But it was fun. They had the radio blasting American music and stuff and Imagine Dragons came on. That was weird hearing a band from Provo Utah on a random shuttle bus going to Rome. But pretty cool. Well, on the bus we passed the Colosseum! Finally I can say that I have seen it. It was all lit up and it was so cool to see finally! I am content haha, I can go home now... But not really, I've got plently of stuff that I still have to do here in Italy. Well at 10:30 we arrived at the main train station and then caught a public bus to the house. We arrived in at about 11:20. We went right to bed and woke up at 5 in the morning to catch the train to Sicilia. The train ride went well and it was so cool! The train went on a boat to cross the strait from Reggio Calabria to Messina. Then we went down to Catania to stay the night. That is where I met Anziano Lazarte. Before going to the house in Catania we had to go help with a Halloween party at the Church. We went and did that and it was really cool! There were a ton of American members because of the other American Navy base in Catania. We ate chili at it! Then we back to the house and went to bed. Oh, by the way, I was driving the car the entire time in crazy Catania. It was so scary driving, but it was cool! They drive so crazy down here. The next morning we drove our car to Gela and got settled in. Well, everything is going well here and it is great!
The church here is pretty stinking small. On Sunday we only had 3 members in Church, a less active guy, an active guy, and an active lady. It was really simple as far as church goes. only two hours from 4:30 to 6:30 in the evening. We just did a simple testimony meeting. The reason we only had 3 of our usual 10 members is because of a traditional holiday here where everybody goes to the cemetery and mourns the dead. So... Everybody was at the cemetery mourning the dead all day. Sicilia is strange. Well, I have met some less actives so far, but we haven't been able to meet our investigators yet. Hopefully that happens soon. Well, I am not sure what else to say. So much has happened and it is kind of crazy here. The house is nice enough, it reminds me of Caserta a lot. The city also. It is good. The city is a lot bigger than I thought it would be and it is built on the cool hill that rises pretty steeply. Well, things are great here! I love being on the mission! I am learning so stinking much every day. It is great! I love the scriptures! I love the mission! Italy is so cool! Oh, this week I had a Canolo. That was a super good treat from Sicily. I like it here, it will be a cool place to finish the mission.
Well, that is everything for this week! Life is good! Oh, it is warm down here also... almost too warm haha. I hope it isn't getting to cold in Salt Lake. Love you all!
Sincerely,

Anziano Burton




No comments:

Post a Comment